The Administration Office of the EHESS-EFEO program makes the three volumes published in 2012 by a collective of EHESS researchers, Faire des sciences sociales (vol. 1: Critique; vol. 2: Compare; vol. 3: Generalize) makes available to students. The reading of these works, which combine theoretical considerations and field reflections, is strongly recommended. It can contribute to refining students’ analysis and putting their written work into perspective.
Raymond Quivy and Luc Van Campenhoudt’s Manuel de recherches en sciences sociales, Dunod, 1995, is still relevant today, whatever the discipline. Here is a summary of the scientific approach in three main acts and seven steps:
- Manual for research in the social sciences (summary by Mélanie Fauvel, 2002, translated by Kasha Vande, 2020)
You will find in the attached document a summary of the typographical and formatting standards of the M2 memoire, which must be rigorously followed:
- M2 thesis presentation (translated by Kasha Vande, 2020)
In addition, here is a useful link on reading, note taking and paper/book reviewing :
- Methodology sheet, article and book reviews (Paris III Sorbonne Nouvelle, translated by Kasha Vande, 2020)
Attention: All written work must comply with the regulatory guidelines relating to intellectual property. The sources published or not, whatever the existing support, printed or electronic, used for this work must be explicitly cited. Student work, and in particular research papers, will be subject to the control of anti-plagiarism software. Any infringement of the law will be punishable by expulsion.
Finally, this list of guides for the preparation of dissertations in the humanities and social sciences is for your easy reference (these are in French language):
- Méthodologie en sciences humaines (INALCO 2011-2012)
- Préparer et rédiger un mémoire de recherche (Sciences Po Lille, 2015-2016)
- Guide de rédaction d’un mémoire en sciences humaines (Mines Paris tech, par Denis Besnard, 2010)
- Devenir historien.ne. Méthodologie de la recherche et historiographie (auteur Émilien Ruiz, 2011)
- Guide du mémoire en sociologie (Collectif d’enseignants, Université de Rouen et Paris 8, 2006)
- Réussir son mémoire ou sa thèse (Yves Livian, Lyon 3, 2015)
- L’écriture d’une thèse en sciences sociales (Lamia Zaki, 2006)